What To Look For When Hiring A Masonry Contractor
If you have been thinking about having any type of hardscaping project done around your home, you may be wondering how you begin the process of finding a qualified masonry contractor to not only complete the job, but to get the job done right. We’re put together a few tips for hiring masonry contractors so you can know what to ask and what to look for before you decide who to use for your project.
Here are some things to consider:
- Licenses and certifications – You should make sure that any contractor you hire is licensed to operate in the state in which you live. It’s also worthwhile to ask about any certifications they may have. Ask to see their proof of insurance as well.
- Scope of work – While you may already know that you want a patio installed or a walkway put in, you may not have the exact design laid out in your head. That’s why it’s important to find a masonry contractor that can not only handle the installation of your desired materials but can also help you design a feature to your exact specifications. The contractor should be able to offer sound advice on design features as well as materials that will work well with your taste, overall landscape and climate. He should also be open to listening to exactly what you want, working with you to meet your expectations.
- Material expertise – Not every mason is experienced in working with all types of materials so you should find out if the contractor you’re thinking of hiring has expertise working with the specific types of materials you desire. Consider whether your project requires the expertise of someone who knows how to install concrete, brick, pavers or natural stone and then find a contractor that can demonstrate that he has experience working with those materials.
- Previous work – Ask any potential contractor to show you examples of previous work performed. Looking at photos of finished projects will give you some indication of the contractor’s work, but it’s also worthwhile to ask for any references in the area so you can inquire with previous clients about the professionalism the contractor experienced and how satisfied the person was with the overall project.
- Project cost and timeframe – Of course, you’ll want to know what a project is going to cost before you agree to move forward but it’s also important to find out how firm that price is. By discussing this upfront, you’ll be less likely to encounter unknown “surprises” in the project cost down the road. The same goes for timeframe to complete the job. Try to get an idea of how firm the timeframe estimate is so you don’t find your project getting pushed back or delayed for reasons beyond your control.
- Acquisition and disposition of materials – Find out who will be responsible for ordering and picking up all materials needed for the job, as well as whether the contractor will handle all aspects of clean-up, including disposal of any debris.
There’s a lot to consider when you are looking to hire a masonry contractor. Knowing what to ask and what to look for will help you make the right choice as you search for the best contractor to meet your specific needs.
For more information about our masonry services, contact Millenium Stoneworks in NJ at 732-519-1112 or 347-723-6990.